Address: Dharma Circle Collective ,3/569 Barkly St, West Footscray VIC 3012
Prenatal Yoga and Birthing Skills Classes
Prenatal Yoga Classes 2021 for all stages of pregnancy
at the Dharma Circle 3/569 Barkly St, West Footscray. Classes run continuously. You can buy your class pass below. You do not need to book into every class you wish to attend.
Term 3 starts Tuesday 13th July- 10 weeks
You can also start throughout the term
Yoga classes with Vanessa in West Footscray
Pregnancy classes with Vanessa are designed to prepare women for a positive birth by preparing the body and the mind. Our bodies know how to give birth in fact they are perfectly designed to do so. It is fear and doubt that get in the way.
Vanessa has 30 years experience teaching pregnancy yoga and birth skills. She emphasizes that birth is a normal, healthy event, giving women the courage and confidence to birth how they wish.
Expect to connect with a supportive peer group of soon-to-be mothers with each class focusing on a different topic surrounding birth. Vanessa provides pregnant women with the most up-to-date, evidence-based information regarding birth choices and care. She also designs the class with yoga and pilates for all stages of pregnancy.
Dates and Timings
Dates: Every Thursday (start any date).
Cost: $100 for 5 pregnancy yoga sessions or $25 per visit
$100 for 5 visits
Women gain confidence and feel postive about birth with these classes.
Midwives attest that women who have attended cope much better with birth and have less intervention than women who have not attended.
Recommended by research
Australia has some of the highest intervention rates in the world. Many women would prefer to have a normal birth without intervention but don’t have the confidence or knowledge to go about this.
As published in the British Medical Journal, the study found that:
- Independent and interactive birth education classes lead women to feel that birth is manageable, that they have the resources to cope and that they understand birth.
- Following birth education, pregnant women had a 65% lower epidural rate, a 44% lower caesarean rate, half the rate of inductions and much lower perineal trauma rates than women who attended common hospital classes.
- Unlike Vanessa’s Pregnancy Classes, hospital classes were seen to socialise couples into accepting hospital protocol and a culture of intervention.
Non drug approaches are very successful in relieving pain in childbirth and reduce the need fot epidurals and pitocin. All of these medications may have side effects for mother and baby. About 70% of women will use an epidural for pain releif in Australia.
What do the sessions involve?
Classes will cover the following topics:
- Be confident that birth is a normal healthy process and that your body is designed to birth normally.
- Understand the power of the mind in the birth process and how to stay positive
- Become clear abou the type of birth support you want especially from your midwife and your partner.
- Understand the normal process of birth and how you can support yourself in allowing the process to unfold.
- Understand that you have choices in how you want to birth your baby
- Practice natural pain releif techniques and understand how they work
- Be introduced to many useful web resources and books to help you be informed and make choices that make your birth a positive experience.
- Understand how to avoid interventions if possible and how to be politely assertive with your health care professional.
- Learn about induction and how to use naatural alternatives (if your baby is overdue).
- Learn how to help your baby get into the most optimal position for birth.
- Meet other pregnant women and have the opportunity to ask any questions or share your own experience.
- Gain confidence through practicing techniques for body and mind and talking to other pregnant participants.
Who can attend the Pregnancy Classes?
All pregnant people can attend the classes from 12 weeks to birth
What should I expect from the classes?
Each class starts with some discussion followed by yoga and pilates, pelvic floor strengthening and awareness, breathing and relaxation.
What are the benefits of Pregnancy Yoga?
Benefits of pregnancy yoga include:
maintaining a strong, pain free body
connecting with other pregnant people
Learning to relax deeply
Maintain a stable core to prevent back pain
Connect with your baby.
Learn and feel positive about birth.
Vanessa Shribman; Physiotherapist, birth educator and yoga teacher with 30 years experience.
Vanessa teaches the pregnancy classes. She has been a birth educator in South Australia for 27 years and the director of the Coast Yoga Centre.In 2019 she relocated to Melbourne to be closer to her adult children and now teaches classes at the Dharma Circle Collective in West Footscray.
Terms and Conditions
- You can start at any time.
- You can attend as many cycles as you want.
- You do not have to attend consecutively.
- Physiotherapy rebates are available for this course.
- There is a 6 month expiry.
- There are no refunds on class tickets.
Contact Info for yoga
Dharma Circle, West Footscray VIC 3012, 3/569 Barkly St, Melbourne VIC 3012
Vanessa works at Pod Clinic Rooms in West Footscray on Wednesdays and at her home clinic in West Footscray on Fridays and Saturdays. You can book an appointment with her by clicking on the link below or by calling 0423912452. Please expect 60 minutes for your first appointment and come suitably dressed. Please check the FAQs for more information about your appointment or email me.